A "Secret Smorgling" is a little box with 160g of random fibres. It's sold by Nunoco and they are often in the shop.
These are such a great idea, the yarn is always "one of a kind" and a pleasure to knit with because all the variations. I specially like the little roving packs that have some sparkle in them, that shows up in the yarn and final project.
For the challenge on Ravelry we have to use up all the box.
I finished 2 more "boxes" for the Secret smorgling challenge:
The first box:
Made these "Smorgling Fiddlehead" mittens:
Smorgling Fiddlehead Mittens
This is the first time I'm making mittens and I really like them. I had to spin 3 different yarns for this project: a light and dark for the colorwork and a fine yarn for the lining.
The 2 thicker yarns are n-plied to keep the colors clear. I've devided the fibre in 2 parts to make two matching yarns (for the 2 mittens).
The lining is a 2 ply yarn, mostly browns (from the "Hen batt") and a little greens.
and with the rest of the yarn I made a sweet little "Bonnie Wee mouse":
With my second box I made this "Spring Dreams Shawl":
For this one I spun all the fibre of the box as a 2-ply yarn. The colors are all mixed, but there's a bit of a gradient because I tried to keep the greens and pinks at the same side.
(dark weather in Belgium)
I love the texture of the garter stitch in combination with the lace parts in this pattern. I made it a little bigger by repeating one of the lace charts (to use op the yarn).
For the bind of I chose an I-cord edging.
Detail while blocking:
This has been a fun challenge, I hope there will be more in the future :).
I started with this fibre: a little box of surprises:
I made 2 groups, with light and dark colors, and spun two yarns. The light fibres are carded with the hand carders, they made a yarn that slowly changes color. For the dark colors I used small bits of the fibres in random order, then navajo-plied. It made a yarn with bright colors. (Difficult to take good pictures because of the dark weather here in Belgium...)
The stranded jacket is made first, I wanted light flowers on a dark background. The pattern is the "Circular stranded surprise jacket". I liked that I could draw my own chart for this. The jacket came out a little small and used only 75g of the yarn...but I think it's really cute.
Then I made the regular surprise jacket, with random stripes to use up all the yarn:
I have to finish my doll from my first Smorgling now ;)
I'm working on a sampler to practice bobbin lace techniques :)
I use 18 pairs of bobbins for the center with the spiders, at the sides I make a whole stitch (with a pair that always stays at the side) and twist the pair twice round the side-pin. This will make a little loop to 'sew' on the other parts while working.
I'm working on spider 15 now, just following the lines on the pattern.
Here are some close-ups of the 'half stitch trail' and the 'Torchon ground', just turning the corner to start another row of spiders.
Then I used the same pattern again, but with some modifications to make a Teenage Ninja Turtle :)
Yarn: "Meilenweit Soja" (a soft sock-yarn), needles: 2,75. (I probably should have used smaller needles but it would make the turtle even smaller..) I knit according to the pattern, but with a very short tail, no ears and orange stripe where the eyes are placed. The shell is knitted in some handspun. This one is for my son.
Knitted Ninja Turtle
The pattern is easy to follow and quick to knit. I'll probably make more of them soon...
This pattern adds a piece of lace every day of december, until Christmas :).
I'm using my lace-weight Smorgasbox yarn. (and probably add more yarn spun from samples)
Every pattern and spacer will have it's own color, so I'm using both the outside and inside of my skeins...
Already knitted day 5 today:
This is knitted in the round (and started with a provisional cast on) to make a cowl.
All the handspun colors and the surprise-patterns make this a fun project :)